Competitions: Drift Day

When a goal comes and goes, it is imperative that you set a new goal.  Whether you achieved or failed to achieve that goal, if you don't set a new one, you'll find yourself 'drifting'.  Uninspired, unsure, and even unhappy, if you drift too long it becomes harder to get inspired again.  Sometimes it is important to take some time to drift, especially after a large or important goal has passed.  But like I said, too much drifting will make it harder for you to start working on your next goal.

I just finished my day of drifting after competing at a dance competition in Florida this past weekend.  It was a competition I had been looking forward to for quite a while, and something I had trained hard for.  After an ankle injury and getting through the first competition after that, I was excited for this one to give me some great results.  That is where I went wrong.  Dancing and setting goals as a means to get results will always disappoint you.  You have to do what you love for a purpose, even if it is just passion.  I went to Miami with the thought of winning and succeeding and proving that my ankle was all better.  What I should have been focused on was the experience, the blessing of getting to perform, or even the excitement of getting to compete with more couples.

I kept asking myself during my 'drift day' today, "Why do I feel so depressed?"  Maybe that's an extreme term, but wanting to eat loads of chocolate and lay in bed all day sounds like the opposite of being inspired from my experience.  I didn't realize until now as I write this blog post that I am sad because I set myself up for disappointment.  I set my sights on specific scenarios that had to play out, but none of the variables matched up.  I didn't get first place, my ankle hurt the entire night and even hindered my warm ups, and what is success anyway?  Success to me was getting first place.  But if I had defined success as doing my best despite all circumstances, I would have been very pleased with my performance.

So set your goals, drift away for a few days, but always choose to redefine the true meaning of your desires.  Ask yourself, "What do I want?"  Then ask, "What does that mean to me?"  Then see if it is something you believe is achievable.  Not to say you should always set your sights on the possible.  Sometimes you need to go for the impossible.  The important thing is to accept where you are and whatever happens, because there is always next time to shoot for the stars.  And if that's your goal, then I think you've successfully pulled yourself out of your drift day.  I know I have.

-Rumba_Queen

Disclaimer***We didn't get first place, but Moses and I got second, so not too bad.
Disclaimer 2***I think Moses had a lot of this mentality down, and part of the inspiration for this post was from his thoughts. #bestpartner

Comments

Popular Posts